Sunday, September 2, 2012

Take a sad dress, make it better...

While this has nothing to do with a wedding, it does have to do with sewing.  I have been busy doing nothing, we all know what that means, so I thought that I would share another bobbin post.

I am a hound for the Salvation Army shop, we have 3 where I live and love shopping there.  My favorite sale is the 5 for $5.  I got 5 formals the last sale I was at back in April, right before Prom.  I love formals, but dislike wearing dresses.  Strange I know.... here are the 5 that I got.




 I ♥ the silver one, who am I kidding, I love them all.
      When I heard that my niece was going to prom, I asked about her dress.  She said that was still up in the air, so I offered her one of my dresses.  Her fave color is hot pink, so that was a "Duh" moment.  { I bought the dress for her before I knew about prom}

First thing was to shorten it, but not to short, she's a tomboy, not a fashionista.  Shorten and pin tucks.




 So far, she was liking it.  she isn't a strapless dress kind of girl, so re-working the top was a must.

 We started by untying  the bow, and using it as a strap.  Wanting to brake up the solid pink so we started adding ribbon to add some color.  Her colors were cream, black, and gray.
  I had the bottom of the dress so a wanted to try a bustle. Very Marilyn, but not my niece.



 Without the bustle, and a no the the gray ribbon, it was time to think of something else.   So pin-able flowers.  I had some really wide cream ribbon, and I tried that with the flowers.
Lots of flowers

She didn't like the wide ribbon, so off with that.  I was a go with the flowers, so that's what I used.


She was happy with the way it turned out, so was I.  Look at what $5. looks like.
Tomboy? yes. Beautiful? Most Definitely! 

Well I'm off to bed. Fishing with Da in the morning!  I'll take some pix and post about the fun!

Night!


No comments:

Post a Comment